The Parish of the Resurrection
The school, which was built in 1840, lies in the grounds of Saint Lawrence Church. Beyond the obvious locational and historical ties, the school benefits from a strong relationship with the church:
- Regular collective worships taken by members of the clergy
- A collective worship once a week is held in St Lawrence Church
- Celebration of Christian festivals & end of term services - e.g. at Easter we have used the school and church grounds to perform an Easter passion play involving all the children in the school. At Christmas each year, Key Stage 2 perform a Christmas Cantata with a nativity tableau in St Lawrence Church.
- Meetings with the school leadership team
- Use of the Church buildings
- Working with the Anna Chaplain and visiting old people's homes in the local area
- Service after School - an opportunity for parents to bring their children to church to for an informal "Messy Church" style experience
- School Teddy Bears Service - an extension of a service for the Teddy Bear Toddler Service. Our Key stage 1 children come over to church once a month to engage in an informal service with a bible story, singing and prayers.
- Year 6 were involved in an art project where the school's Christian values were the focus and St Lawrence Church now has 3 banners hanging in the church for Love, Compassion & Respect.
- On their last day, Year 6 come to the church in the morning for some quiet reflection, time to be together and to create memories of their time at St Lawrence Church.
- Our Collective Worship Crusaders have the opportunity to meet with our Vicar and a Foundation Governor
- A Foundation Governor goes in weekly to work with Early Years