St Lawrence CE Primary School


St Lawrence SEND Report 2020-21


All Hampshire Maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and / or Disabilities (SEND). All schools are supported by the Local Authority to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with SEND being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.


The Children and Families Bill was enacted in 2014. Local Authorities are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN) aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer’. The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area, including from the local authority, health services, schools, leisure services and the voluntary sector.


St Lawrence SEND Information Report


In compliance with section 69(2) of the Children and Families Act 2014 and Regulation 51 and schedule 1 of The Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014, the governing body must publish a report on the school’s policy for pupils with SEND.

St Lawrence CE Primary School is a mainstream school. We provide a broad and balanced curriculum within a caring and secure environment. We have high expectations of all children and respond to each child’s learning needs, ensuring every child succeeds. Some children have barriers to learning that mean they require provision that is additional or different from their peers.

Please see the questions below for more information about the SEND policy at St Lawrence School and how we can support your child.


What does it mean if my child has Special Educational Needs?

The Special Educational Needs Code of Practice 2014 states that a child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty If they:

  1. Have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others the same age

  2. Have a disability which prevents or hinders them in making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream or post mainstream institutions.

    High quality teaching that is differentiated and personalised will meet the needs of the majority of children and young people. Some though, will need educational provision that is additional to or different from this. This is special educational provision under Section21 of the Children and Families Act 2014. We will use our best endeavours to ensure that such provision is made for those who need it.

    Admission Arrangements

    Parents of children with a special educational need will apply for a place at St Lawrence in accordance with the school’s admission policy.

    How does the school know if a child needs extra help?

    Class teachers monitor the children’s progress continually and formally assess at key points during the year. As well as class- based assessment , we also use a range of external assessments such as Year 1 phonics screening and PIRA reading test.

    The principle of early identification and intervention underpins our approach to identifying those children who need extra help. If a child is not making expected progress or has difficulties in a particular area of learning, interventions are put in place in order to help the child catch up; this does not imply that the pupil has a special educational need.


    At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive more specialised expertise. The purpose of this more detailed assessment is to understand what additional resources and approaches are required to enable the pupil to make better progress. In some cases, underlying needs may explain inadequate progress or challenging behaviour. Parents will be consulted prior to consulting an outside agency and the results of assessments shared with them. Where necessary, meeting with parents will be arranged to discuss support plans.


    Pupils who require additional and different support and who would not be able to make progress without it are identified as having a special educational need and are recorded as such on the SEND register. The school works closely with SEND children to build an understanding of the child’s needs and put in place strategies to support the child. The class teacher will meet regularly with the parents to review provision, these meetings may involve the SENDCo and any outside agencies working with the child




    What can I do if I am concerned about my child’s progress?


    All parents are invited to discuss the progress of their children on a termly basis and receive a written report once a year. In addition we are happy to arrange meetings outside these times.

    If a child does not make expected progress or appears to struggle with particular areas of learning the class teacher will contact parents to discuss what we will be doing to address these needs.


    The class teacher and SENDCo are available to discuss any concerns. Parents should speak to the child’s class teacher or leave a message with the office to make an appointment.


    Parents will be actively supported to contribute to assessment, planning and review. We also encourage parents to share information about what is working well at home so similar strategies can be used at school.


    Parents of pupils with a statement of SEN/ Education Health Care Plan are invited to contribute to and attend annual review meetings which, wherever possible, will also include other agencies involved with the pupil.


    What are the different types of support available to children with special educational needs?


    Schools receive funding for all SEN pupils. This funding is used to support and enhance high quality  teaching in the school. It helps to ensure there are sufficient resources for pupils requiring special educational provision. The support offered is matched to the needs of individual pupils with SEN and evidenced based. The amount of support required for each pupil to make good progress will be different in each case. The different types of support are outlined below


    High quality teaching from the class teacher, including targeted support and differentiation for individual children, is the first step to responding to pupils who have or may have SEND.


    Special educational provision is underpinned by high quality teaching and is compromised by anything less’ (SEND Code of Practice, 2014)


    This means that:

  • The teacher has the highest possible expectations for all children in their class.
  • Teachers continually assess children and ensure they plan for the next steps in every child’s learning
  • Specific strategies are in place to meet the needs of individual children as necessary


Specific group work with smaller groups of children.


This work, known as intervention groups, may take place in the classroom or outside and may be led by a teacher, a teaching assistant or the SENDCo.

This means that:

  • The class teacher identifies gaps in a child’s understanding / learning and puts in place extra support to help the child make the best possible progress.
  • Group sessions are organised with specific targets for each child to help him/her to make more progress.


Specialist groups or individual support to deliver a programme recommended by an outside agencies e.g. Speech and Language therapy


This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through high quality teaching and intervention groups. This means that:


  • The child is identified by the class teacher/ SENDCo as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to high quality teaching and intervention groups.
  • Parents are asked to come to a meeting to discuss their child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • With the parents’ permission, the child may be referred to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and parents understand the child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with the child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
    1. Making changes to the way the child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better

    2. Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise

    3. A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g a social skills group


      The class teacher will remain responsible for working with the pupil on a daily basis.


      Specified Individual support

      This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).This means:

  • The child has been identified by the class teacher/SENDCo as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching, which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school. In these cases the school will request ‘top up’ funding from the Local Authority.
  • The school (or parent) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of a child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for the child.
  • After the school submits the request, the Local Authority decides whether they think the child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), are complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask parents and all professionals involved with the child to write a report outlining the child’s needs. The Local Authority then decides if the child’s needs require an Education Health Care Plan.


The EHC Plan outlines the number of hours of individual /small group support the child will receive, how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It also includes long and short term goals for the child.

  • This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.
  • The Headteacher has the final say in the use of the personal budget within the school.


How are the School Governors involved with pupils with SEND and what are their responsibilities


  • The SENDCo reports regularly to the governors to inform them of the progress of children on the SEN register. Confidentiality is maintained at all times.
  • There is a SEND governor, Mrs Caroline Weighton, is responsible for monitoring the provision of children with SEND. She meets regularly with the SENDCo and then reports to the rest of the governors.
  • In collaboration with the Headteacher and the SENDCo, the governors agree the priorities for spending within the SEND budget; the overall aim is that children receive the support they need in order to progress.


How will the curriculum be adapted for a child with SEN?


Class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that every child’s needs are met.


  • Specially trained support staff can adapt the teachers’ planning to support the needs of individual children where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies are used to meet each child’s needs
  • All clubs, trips and activities are available to pupils with special educational needs. A list of after-school clubs is available from the school office and changes on a termly basis.
  • There are also various school trips offered to children such as visits to museums and residential trips in Years 4 and 6. For some pupils, ‘reasonable adjustments’ may need to be made and this is always done in partnership with families and carers.
  • Some children may also require additional support during lunch times and breaks at the beginning and end of the school day.


How does the school monitor the progress of children with special educational needs?


The SEND Code of Practice (2014) describes adequate progress as:


  • Is similar to that of children of the same age who had the same starting point
  • Matches or improves on the pupil’s previous rate of progress
  • Which allows the attainment gap to close between the pupil and others of the same age

At St Lawrence the following systems are in place:

  • Every child’s progress is continually monitored by his /her class teacher. Progress is reviewed formally every term and focuses on the extent to which planned outcomes have been achieved.
  • Specific targets are set for any intervention that takes place outside quality whole-class teaching and progress towards targets is reviewed at least termly.
  • For children identified with SEN, parents and children work with the class teacher to write a SEN Pupil Passport that outlines the child’s strengths, their barriers to learning and strategies for support.
  • The class teacher will meet termly with parents to discuss progress towards targets and review provision. Where necessary, these meetings also involve the SENDCo and professionals from any outside agencies that are working with the child.


  • The progress of children with a statement of SEN / EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review meeting with all adults involved with the child’s education.



Who are the best people to talk to about my child’s Special Education Needs?


Class teachers

Class teachers are responsible for:

  • Monitoring the progress of every child in their class, identifying children who are a cause of concern, then planning and liaising with the SENCO to put in place additional support, (this could be things like targeted work or an intervention group).
  • Organising termly meetings with parents and children to write and update a learning plan, outlining strategies to support the child.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with the child are helped to deliver the planned programme so that the child can make the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEN Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEN.

The SEN Co-ordinator (SENDCo)


The SENDCo at St Lawrence  is Wendy Turner. She is responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEN Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Maintaining a provision map outlining support in place for individuals and groups across the school.
  • Maintaining the SEN records and liaising with class teachers in the drawing up of pupil learning plans, planning programmes of support and setting individual pupil targets.
  • Ensuring that parents are kept informed and involved in supporting their children’s learning.
  • Liaising with outside agencies who may be coming into school to help support the children’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEN achieve the best progress possible.


Wendy is available on 01420 84400  or e-mail:    She works Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.


SEND Governor

Governors are responsible for making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEN. The designated governor for SEND is Caroline Weighton who can be contacted via the school office.





How are teachers in the school helped to work with children with SEN and what training do they have?


All teachers and teaching assistants have regular training to support them in meeting the needs of children with special educational needs. We also offer specific training to teaching staff providing personalised support programmes for individual children. Training providers we can approach include the Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language therapist, Occupational Therapists and Teaching and Learning Advisors, Outreach workers.


How is the school accessible for children with SEND?


  • St Lawrence School was built in 1840 and does have several different floor levels this means that it is not fully wheelchair accessible although there is full wheelchair access to the school hall.

  • We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs and extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.

  • There is a disabled toilet which has wheelchair access

  • Unfortunately the school has no car park.


    Who are the external agencies providing support to SEND children and their teachers?


    The governing body have engaged the following services:-

  • A Service Level Agreement with Educational Psychology service

  • Access to local authority SLA with Speech and Language Therapy Services / Occupational Therapy Services / Physiotherapy Services

  • School Nurse

  • Embrace Parent Support Workers


What is available to support and develop a child’s overall well being?


  • St Lawrence is an inclusive school with caring and supportive staff who are dedicated to looking after each and every child.
  • The class teacher has overall responsibility for the pastoral, health and social care of every child in their class. The teacher, therefore, is the first point of contact for parents.
  • The ELSA ( Emotional Learning Support Assistant)  works under the direction of the SENDCo and can spend time either with individual or small groups of children if necessary on areas such as ‘anger management’ and ‘emotional literacy’
  • In partnership with other local schools in Alton, there are two Parent Support Workers available who can offer further support at home if necessary.


What support is there for behaviour, avoiding exclusion and increasing attendance?


  • St Lawrence has a positive approach to behaviour management which includes a variety of reward systems. All children are clear about school expectations.
  • If a child has behavioural difficulties, an Individual Behaviour Plan ( IBP) will be written alongside the child and parent to identify specific issues.  Relevant support is put in place and targets are set. Exclusion rates are very low as a result.
  • After an incident, we expect a child to reflect on their behaviour with an adult. This helps identify why the incident happened and what the child can do differently next time to change and improve behaviour.
  • Attendance is monitored on a daily basis; lateness and absence are recorded and reported to the Headteacher. All unexplained absences are followed up with a phone call on the first day of absence. Good attendance is actively encouraged throughout the school.


How are children able to contribute their views?


  • St Lawrence School is a  Rights Respecting  School where every child’s views are valued
  • Regular   School Council meetings are held to seek the views of the children.
  • The school openly encourages the children to share their thoughts with adults through Wellbeing sessions and in more informal circumstances.
  • If a child has a support plan or EHC plan, their views are sought alongside those of their parents.


How will the school prepare and support my child when joining the school and transferring to a new school?


  • Children and their parents are invited to several ‘Stay and Play’ sessions before starting school. Each child has a Home Visit from the Reception Teacher..

  • Information from pre-schools is sought.

  • Part time attendance is arranged for some children starting school if deemed appropriate

  • Children transferring in and out of the school are encouraged to have a ‘Taster Day’ prior to starting.

  • Due to the location of the local secondary schools, children from St Lawrence regularly use their facilities and therefore become familiar with the secondary schools long before starting there as a Year 7.

  • Year 6 children attend taster days at the local secondary schools.

  • The local secondary schools, Amery Hill and Eggars', organise additional support days for children with additional needs.


Who should I contact if I want to make a complaint?


The same arrangements for the treatment of complaints at St Lawrence are used for complaints about provision made for special educational needs and disabilities. We encourage parents to first discuss their concerns with the class teacher and SENCO to resolve the issue. If necessary, parents can then contact the Headteacher or refer the matter to the Chair of Governors. (See the Complaints Policy on the school website)


Where can I get further information about services for my child?

See Hampshire County Council’s local offer which can be found at (under “Education and Childcare” then “Schools”).